Tuesday, November 15, 2011

5th grade Statue of Liberty


I couldn't be more pleased with how this project turned out. This was the first time I ever tried this lesson. I found it on a website called www.deepspacesparkle.com This art teacher featured this project and I knew my 5th graders could do it. It was perfect this year marks Lady Liberty's 125th anniversary!
We started out by learning facts about the Statue of Liberty. We discussed the relationship between The United States and France and how France gave the statue to the U.S. as a gift. As the statue was being built in France, the base was being built here in America. Did you know that the Statue of Liberty is 305 feet tall? Also did you know that each one of the rays represents each of the 7 continents? Well....now you do! :)
We then began a step by step drawing process of the Statue of Liberty. I drew on the board and the kids drew along with me. This step by step process broke the drawing down into manageable steps. We learned about 3 dimensional shapes and perspective when drawing the pedestal. We added a horizon line and buildings to represent the city. All was outlined in Sharpie marker and then the statue and water were painted with watercolor. The background was marker/crayon.
Pretty great, huh?!

No comments:

Post a Comment