Wednesday, December 28, 2011

4th grade winter cardinal paintings


This project was a new project for me this year. I found the idea from Pinterest (my new favorite obsession!) that originated from a website called deepspacesparkle.com This art teacher's blog is full of great projects that inspired me to try a bunch of new things this year.
We started out by looking at photographs of cardinals and then we used those pictures, along with a step-by-step drawing paper to help us draw a cardinal. The cardinal was drawn as the main focus of the work and then the branches were added later. I explained this as though you are looking through a camera at a cardinal sitting in a tree and you pushed the zoom button - this is what you would see. The student used tempera paint to paint the bird first. We talked about using a small brush and black paint to create the separation between the wing and the body. We focused a lot on technique and how to hold a paint brush and use a paint brush correctly. Back and forth - not scrubbing! Finally the students used white to show snow on the branches. I am so amazed with how these came out - one of our best projects!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment